Weak Forms – How to Pronounce Weak Forms in English

Hi I’m Oli.
嗨,我是奧利。
Welcome to Oxford Online English.
歡迎來到牛津線上英語。

In this lesson you can learn about weak forms in English.

在本課程中,你可以了解英語的弱讀形式。

Weak forms are a really important pronunciation point.

弱讀形式確實是一個重要的發音重點。

Learning about weak forms can help your speaking, of course, but if can also make a big difference to your English listening.

當然,了解弱讀形式可以幫助你說話,也可以對你英文聽力產生很大的不同。

Let’s see how.
我們來看看如何。

Listen to a sentence:
聽一句話:

1I gave her a box of chocolates for her birthday.
因為她的生日我送了她一盒巧克力。

So, what are weak forms?

那麼,什麼是弱讀形式?

Some words have two possible pronunciations.

有些字有兩種可能的發音方式。

For example, think about the word for in this sentence.

例如,想想句中這個for

If you just read the word by itself, you’ll probably say /fɔː/.

如果只是單獨閱讀這個字,你可能會說/fɔː/

However, in the sentence, its pronunciation is different.

但是,在句子中,它的發音是不一樣的。

-I gave her a box of chocolates for her birthday.     

/fɔː/

It becomes /fə/.

它變成/fə/

So, the word for has a weak form.
所以,這個字for有一個弱讀形式。

Its pronunciation changes.
它的發音改變了。

This isn’t just because we’re saying it very fast.
這不僅僅是因為我們講得很快。

-I gave her a box of chocolates for her birthday.

                              /fɔː/→/fə /

It has a different sound: /ə/ instead of /ɔː/.

它有一個不同的聲音:/ə/,而不是/ɔː/

I gave her a box of chocolates for her birthday.

Can you see any other weak forms in our sentence?
你能在我們的句子中看到任何其他弱讀形式嗎?

Her, a and of are also weak.
heraof也弱讀。

-I gave /hərə/ box /əv/ chocolates /fəhə/ birthday.

Try it!
試試吧!

Read the sentence.
讀一下這句話。

Try to pronounce the weak forms:
試著去發弱讀形式:

-I gave /hərə/ box /əv/chocolates /fəhə/ birthday.

So, do all words have weak forms?

那麼,所有的字都有弱讀形式嗎?

No, there are many words which have weak forms, but not all words do.

不,很多字有弱讀形式,但不是所有字都有。

In this lesson, you’ll see which words have weak forms, when to use them, and how to pronounce them correctly.

在本課程中,你將看到哪些單字具有弱讀形式,何時使用弱讀形式以及如何發音出正確的弱讀形式。

Part OneWhich Words Have Weak Forms?

Words which have weak forms are often ‘grammar’ words.

具有弱讀形式的詞通常是文法字。

Words which carry the main meaning of a sentence don’t usually have weak forms.

帶有句子主要意義的字通常不會有弱讀形式。

That means most nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs don’t have weak forms.

這意味著大多數名詞,動詞,形容詞和副詞沒有弱讀形式。

Prepositions like to, for, as, of or at have weak forms.

介詞像toforasofat有弱讀形式。

Pronouns like you, your, that or there can have weak forms.

代名詞像youyourthatthere有弱讀形式。

Some conjunctions like and or but can also have weak forms.

一些連接詞像and, or, but也有弱讀形式。

Also, auxiliary verbs often have weak forms.

此外,助動詞通常有弱讀形式。

That means words like do, does, was, would, can, are, and so on.

這意味著像dodoeswaswouldcanare,等等。

Lots of information, I know!

有很多資料!

Let’s do some examples.
我們舉一些例子吧。

Look at a sentence:
看一句話:

2Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow ?
你明天和我們一起去看電影嗎?

There are five weak forms in this sentence.

這句話有五個弱讀形式。

Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow?

Can you find them? Listen one more time.

你能找到他們嗎?再聽一次。

Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow?

are→ /ə/

you→/jə/     

to→/tə/

你明天和我們一起去看電影嗎?
Can you hear where the weak forms are?

你能聽到弱讀形式在哪裡嗎?
The weak forms are:

弱讀形式是:

are, which is pronounced /ə/.

Are,發音為/ə/

you, which becomes /jə/.

you,變成/jə/

to, which is pronounced /tə/.

to,發音為/tə/

The is almost always weak, but it is technically a weak form: /ðə/.

the幾乎總是弱讀,但從技術上來說,它的弱讀形式:/ðə/

Finally, us is weak; it becomes /əs/.

最後,us是弱讀;它變成/əs/

So you can see that the weak forms are the auxiliary verb (are), the pronouns (you, us), and the preposition (to).

所以你可以看到弱讀形式是助動詞(are),代名詞(youus),和介詞(to)。

Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow?

are→/ə/

you/jə/     

to/tə/

theə/       

us/əs/

Also, do you notice anything about the pronunciation of the weak forms?
另外,你有注意到任何有關弱讀形式發音的事嗎?

In all of the weak forms, you can see this sound: /ə/.
在所有弱讀形式中,你可以看到這聲音:/ə/

This sound, the schwa, is common in weak forms.
這個聲音,弱讀母音ə,在弱讀的形式中很常見。

Almost all weak forms have a schwa sound.
幾乎所有弱讀的形式都有弱讀母音ə的聲音。

Let’s do one more example, for practice.
讓我們再做一個例子,進行練習。

Listen to another sentence:
聽另一句話:

3What does he do at the weekends?

他週末做什麼

Can you hear the weak forms?
你能聽到弱讀的形式嗎?

If not, can you guess which words are weak here? Listen one more time.
如果沒有,你能猜出哪些字在這裡弱讀?再聽一次。

-What does he do at the weekends?

does→/dəz/ 

at/ət/

the/ðə/

他週末做什麼
Does is weak.
does是弱讀

It’s pronounced /dəz/.
它發音為/dəz/

At is also weak.
at也是弱讀。

It becomes /ət/.
它變成/ət/

The is weak, as before: /ðə/.
the是弱讀,如前的:/ðə/

So, here’s a question: why is does weak but do is not?

所以,這裡有是一個問題:為什麼does弱讀,而do不是弱讀嗎?

It’s because does is an auxiliary verb.

這是因為does是一個助動詞。

It’s just there to make a question; it doesn’t add any meaning to the sentence.

does只是在那造成了一個問句;does沒有為句子添加任何意義。

Do is the main verb.

do是主動詞。

It carries meaning.

它帶有意義。

Words which carry meaning have their full pronunciation, and won’t be weak.

帶有意義的字有它們完整的發音,不會弱讀。

-What does he do at the weekends?

does→/dəz/ 

at/ət/

theə/

Again, you can see that all of the weak forms have the schwa sound: /ə/.
再次,你可以看到所有的弱讀形式有弱讀母音ə的聲音:/ə/

There are many more weak forms, but the number of words with weak forms is limited.
還有更多的弱讀形式,但有弱讀形式的字數目是有限的。

Depending on how you define ‘weak form’, there are maybe 30-60 words which have weak pronunciations.
根據你如何定義弱讀形式,可能有30-60個單字有弱讀發音。

For now, remember the general idea: grammar words like prepositions, pronouns and auxiliary verbs often have weak forms.

現在,請記住一般的概念:文法字像介詞,代名詞和助詞動詞通常有弱讀形式。

Part Twowhen Should you Use Weak Forms?

Okay, so now you know a bit about weak forms, but when should you use them?
好的,現在你對弱讀形式有所了解了,但什麼時候應該用它們?

In an English sentence, some words are pronounced with more stress than others.
在英語句子中,有些字是發音比其他字更重讀。

Generally, the words which carry the main meaning are stressed, while grammar words like prepositions, pronouns and so on are not stressed.
一般,帶有主要意義的字要重讀,而文法字像介詞,代名詞等沒有重讀。

Words which are not stressed can be weak forms.
沒有重讀的字可以是弱讀形式。

(重獨自不弱讀,非重讀字有些可弱讀,很多保持原始發音,不弱讀)

For example:
例如:

4How long have you been waiting here?
你在這兒等多久了?

How long have you been waiting here?

Can you hear which words are stressed?
你能聽到哪些單字有重讀嗎?

The words how, long and waiting are stressed:
這些字howlongwaiting被重讀:

How long have you been waiting here?
have you→/əvjə/

The unstressed words can be weak.

沒有重讀的字可能弱讀。

Have and you have weak forms.

haveyou有弱讀形式。

They’re pronounced together.

他們一起發音。

You say: /əvjə/.

你說:/əvjə/

Been and here aren’t stressed, but these words don’t have weak forms, so the pronunciation stays the same.

beenhere沒有重讀,但這些單字沒有弱讀形式,所以發音保持不變

Let’s do one more example:

讓我們再做一個例子:

5I could have done more if I’d had more time.   
如果我有更多的時間,我本可以做得更多。

Which words are stressed here, and which words do you think are weak?
這裡哪些被重讀,以及哪些詞你覺得那些字弱讀很弱嗎?

Listen one more time.
再聽一次。

-I could have done more if I’d had more time.
如果我有更多的時間,我本可以做得更多。

The stressed words are done, more, had, more and time.

重讀的字是done, more, had, moretime

The weak forms are could and have.

弱讀形式是could have

Had is also weak in the contraction I’d; a contraction like I’d is really just a weak form which is written.

在縮寫I’d中,had也弱讀。縮寫像I’d就是書寫的弱讀形式。

-I could have done more if I’d had more time.

could have /kədəv/

So, could have is pronounced /kədəv/.

所以,could have可以發音/kədəv/

The other unstressed words, like if and I, don’t have weak forms, so their pronunciation doesn’t change.

其他沒有重讀的字,像ifI,沒有弱讀形式,所以他們的發音不會改變。

Okay, so now you know that weak forms are words with two possible pronunciations, and you know when to use the weak pronunciation of a word.

好的,現在你知道了弱讀形式是具有兩種可能發音的單字,並且你知道了,什麼時候使用一個字的弱讀發音。

Part ThreeWhen Should you Use Strong Forms?

But, if there are two possible pronunciations, what about the other one?

但是,如果有兩個可能的發音,那另一個怎麼樣?

The opposite of a weak form is a strong form.

弱讀形式的反面是一種強讀形式。

You know that weak forms depend on sentence stress.

你知道弱讀形式取決於句子重讀。

However, sentence stress is not fixed.

但是,句子重讀不是固定的。

Sentence stress depends on the situation, and the exact ideas you’re trying to express.

句子重讀取決於情況,以及你想表達的確切想法。

Let’s look at an example we saw before:

讓我們看看之前看到的一個例子:

-How long have you been waiting here?

你在這兒等多久了?

We said that in this sentence, the stressed words would normally be how, long and waiting.

我們說在這句話中,重讀的字通常是How, longwaiting

However, imagine you’re talking to several people.

但是,想像一下你正和幾個人說話。

You ask the question to one person, but a different person answers.

你向一個人問此問題,但是一個不同的人回答。

You ask person A, but person B thinks you’re talking to him, and he answers instead.

你問A人,但B人認為你是跟他說話,他回答了。

So, you ask the question again to person A.

所以,你再向A人提問。

This time, it sounds different:

這一次,聽起來不同:

How long have you been waiting here?

你在這等多久了?

Why does it sound different?

為什麼聽起來不一樣?

And what’s the difference?

有什麼區別?

-How long have you been waiting here?

                  /jʊː/

This time, you’re emphasising the word you, because you want to make it clear who you’re talking to.

這一次,你重讀的是you,因為你想說清楚你是誰跟交談。

That means that you is pronounced with its full pronunciation: /jʊː/.

這意味著你發了完整的發音:/jʊː/

Let’s do one more example.

讓我們再練習一個例子。

We’ll look at another sentence from before:

我們將看看前面的另一句話:

Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow?

你明天和我們一起去看電影嗎?

-Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow?

Normally, the stressed words would be coming, cinema and tomorrow.

通常,重讀的字是coming, cinematomorrow

However, imagine that you thought your friend wasn’t coming.

但是,想像一下你認為你的朋友沒有來。

Someone had told you that she was busy, and couldn’t come with you.

有人告訴過你她很忙,而且不能跟你一起去

So now, when you ask the question, it sounds different:

所以現在,當你問這個問題時,聽起來就是這樣不同:

Are you coming to the cinema with us tomorrow?

你明天和我們一起去看電影嗎?

This time, you emphasise the word are, because you thought your friend couldn’t come, and you’re showing surprise.

這一次,你強調的字是are,因為你以為你的朋友不能來,而且你表現出驚喜。

So, if you want to emphasise a word, you should use the strong form.

所以,如果你想強調一個字,你應該使用強讀的形式。

Strong forms have the full pronunciation.

強讀形式有完整的發音。

Emphasis depends on meaning, so the same word in the same sentence can be pronounced differently in different situations.

重點取決於意義,所以相同一個字在同一個句子中,可以不同的情況下,發音不同。

There’s one more rule: the last word of a sentence can never be weak.

還有一條規則:一句話最後一個字永遠不會弱讀。

For example:

例如:

-What are you looking at?

你在看什麼?

What are you looking at?

The stressed words here are what and looking.

這裡重讀的字是Whatlooking

-What are you looking at?

         /əjə/.        / æt /

Are and you are weak; they’re pronounced /əjə/.

areyou是弱讀;他們發音成/əjə/

At has a weak form, and it’s not stressed in this sentence.

at有弱讀形式,而且在這句話中沒有重讀。

However, the last word of a sentence can’t be weak.

但是,句子的最後一個字不能弱讀。

That means at gets its full pronunciation, /æt/.

這意味著at得完整的發音,/ æt /

Now, hopefully you understand what weak forms are, when to use them, and when not to use them.

現在,希望你能理解什麼是弱讀形式,何時使用弱讀形式,何時不使用弱讀形式。

So, let’s do some practice!

所以,讓我們做一些練習吧!

Part FourPractice With Weak Forms

First, look at three sentences:

首先,看三句話:

1.Does she really think she should do it?

2.What did you do to your hair?

3.What were you doing when she called you?

Think about which words will be stressed, and which words will be weak forms.

想想那些字會重讀,哪些字是弱讀形式。

Pause the video and think about it if you need more time.

如果你需要更多時間暫停一下影片,想一想。

Next, I’ll read the sentences.

接下來,我要讀這些句子。

Listen for stressed words and weak forms.

注意重讀的字和弱讀形式。

Were your ideas right?

前面你的想法是對的嗎?

Does she really think she should do it?

她真的認為她應該這樣做嗎?

What did you do to your hair?

你對你的頭髮做了什麼?

What were you doing when she called you?

她打電話給你時你在做什麼?

Let’s look together.

我們一起來看吧。

-Does she really think she should do it?

她真的認為她應該這樣做嗎?

Does she really think she should do it?

Here, really, think and do are stressed.

在這裡,reallythinkdo重讀。

Does and should are weak.

Doesshould弱讀。

Try saying the sentence with the stress and weak forms.

試著用重讀與弱讀形式來說句子。

Repeat after me:

跟著我重複:

Does she really think she should do it?

她真的認為她應該這樣做嗎?

Try once more, a little faster:

再試一次,快一點:

Does she really think she should do it?

她真的認為她應該這樣做嗎?

How was that?

怎麼樣?

Can you pronounce the weak forms correctly?

你能正確發音弱讀形式嗎?

One important point: weak forms are always connected to the words before and after.

一個重點:弱讀形式總是連接到前面和後面的字。

/dəsʃi/ really think /ʃiʃəd.dʊː/ do it?

So does needs to be joined to she: /dəsʃi/

所以does需要連接到she/dəsʃi/

Should needs to be pronounced together with she and do: /ʃiʃəd.dʊː/

Shouldshe一起發音:/ʃiʃəd.dʊː/

Let’s look at our next sentence:

讓我們看看下一句話:

-What did you do to your hair?

你對你的頭髮做了什麼?

What did you do to your hair?

Here, what, do and hair are stressed.

在這裡,What , dohair,重讀。

You, to and your are weak.

youtoyour弱讀。

Try saying the sentence with the stress and weak forms.

試著用重讀及弱讀形式說出句子。

Repeat after me:

跟著我重複:

What did you do to your hair?

你對你的頭髮做了什麼?

Let’s try again, at natural speed:

讓我們以自然的速度再試一次:

What did you do to your hair?

你對你的頭髮做了什麼?

Okay, let’s look at our last sentence:

好的,讓我們看看我們的最後一句話:

-What were you doing when she called you?

她打電話給你時你在做什麼?

What were you doing when she called you?

Here, what, doing and called are stressed.

在這裡,what, doingcalled,重讀。

Were and you are weak.

wereyou是弱讀。

The you on the end is not stressed, but not weak, either, because it’s the last word of the sentence.

這個終端的you不重讀.也不弱讀,因為它是句子的最後一個字。

Try saying the sentence with the stress and weak forms.

試著用重讀及弱讀形式說出這句。

Repeat after me:

跟著我重複:

What were you doing when she called you?

她打電話給你時你在做什麼?

Let’s try again, at natural speed:

讓我們以自然的速度再試一次:

What were you doing when she called you?

她打電話給你時你在做什麼?

Remember, if you want more practice, you can review this section and try as many times as you need to!

記住,如果你想要更多練習,你可以溫習此部分,需需幾次就幾次。

Okay, hopefully you’ve learned something new about weak forms and English pronunciation.

好的,希望你已經學到了關於弱讀形式和英語發音的新知識。

Check out our website for more free lessons like this:

查看我們的網站,了解更多免費課程:

Oxford Online English.com.

牛津在線English.com

Thanks for watching, see you next time!

謝謝觀看,下次見!

Close Menu
×

Cart